Monday, November 29, 2010

The Gift of Gratitude

In the past two weeks, I’ve experienced a time of great tragedy juxtaposed with a time of celebration. It’s been trying and tough, but it’s shown me the unpredictability of life. I cried and I laughed. I mourned a death and I met a new baby. Above all else, I remembered the importance of family.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that teenage lives are hectic. We are incredibly occupied with our own lives, and friends, and all the other minutiae of life. Some would even say we are the busiest generation. We make time for school, extracurriculars, homework and friends, but family can often get lost in the shuffle. I know personally, aside from brief family dinners, sometimes I don’t even communicate with my immediate family every day. My extended family is mainly situated out of state, so I really only see them a few times a year. I look forward to our reunions, but usually not extremely enthusiastically.

But this time, when I was with my family, I appreciated it more than I ever have before. My grandmother passed away on November 17th, and seeing the throngs of people who convened to celebrate her life really reminded me of that never-fail support system we take for granted: our families.

In the following days, I tried to get as much as possible of my time with relatives. I discussed the Vietnam war with a older cousin. I took a walk along a river with my grandma and uncles. I played with the afore mentioned baby and couldn’t help but break into a grin when she grasped my finger. Maybe it was just the holiday spirit, but I felt incredibly thankful for these moments.

So while these upcoming holiday season offers us teens the temptation to hole up with a book or a laptop, relax while playing some festive tunes, or meet friends at Starbucks for a seasonal drink in one of those cute red cups, instead, use this happy, uncluttered time to spend time with those who matter most. Take a younger cousin out for sledding and hot chocolate, or spend an afternoon decorating a Christmas tree with the grandparents. This holiday season, spending time with family might be the best gift you can give.

2 comments:

  1. Jenna, I really liked this blog post. It sounds like I have been going through many of the same things you have lately, and I'm really glad you reminded me to put in that effort with my family. They're the ones who will stick with me through it all. How great that you got to reconnect with yours. Looking forward to hearing what else you do with them as the holiday season begins.--Kate H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad I could help you think about your family. I'm going to my grandfather's 80th birthday party this weekend and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete