Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Arabian Nights


In a previous post, I proclaimed my love for a show I saw entitled “Metamorphoses” by Mary Zimmerman. I recently attended the Illinois Theatre Festival at the University of Illinois, and as soon as I learned that a school was putting on another one of her plays, “Arabian Nights”, I decided I had to see it. The play seemed especially necessary for me to see because we dicussed the original work on which her play is based, One Thousand and One Nights, in my English class.

Ms. Zimmerman did not disappoint. She spun centuries worth of traditional Middle Eastern stories into a witty, engaging show. She also left some room for creative license, as some pop culture references were used. The cast was talented and committed, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think that Ms. Zimmerman’s work with the adaptation of classic literature into modern theatre is one example of the universality of great literature. Although many of these works are hundreds of years old, their timeless themes, such as betrayal, disappointment, and (unrequited) love allow any audience to connect. By reconstructing literature in a modern medium, Ms. Zimmerman helps a new generation enjoy classic literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment