Monday, February 14, 2011

A Clear Voice Amid the Chaos of Revolution

Lately we have been bombarded with news of the protests and revolution in Egypt. However, I have a problem with zoning out when confronted with blaring headlines and droning reporters. So in order to really get a sense of what is happening, I decided to hear about the Egypt from the best possible source for me: an Egyptian teenager.

I discovered the posts of Jessica Elsayed, a teen in Alexandria, Egypt, who writes for Youth Journalism International. She chronicled her experiences in the past few weeks and reading her articles has helped me understand not only the experiences of the average person in Egypt but also appreciate powerful, eloquent writing from a strong youth voice.

The news gives us instant updates and coverage of events, but by reading a firsthand account, I learned about what the Egyptian people were really fighting against. In one of Ms. Elsayed’s earlier posts, she details her experience actually participating in a peaceful protest and reasons for doing so. She says, “We want better schools for my younger brother and sisters, better health care for my grandmother…the media sometimes says this is an Islamic revolution, but it’s not. It has no connection with religion”. By explaining their causes in the most basic, honest way, she clearly communicates what impersonal media coverage does not. Her posts are intelligent and have given me so much insight into what is really happening in Egypt.

I would also like to commend her writing style. In her informative posts, she writes very clearly and explains in a way that engages the uninformed reader but also doesn’t bore someone who has been following the news.

She also uses beautiful language to convey her ideas. When especially moved by an event, her posts take on a poetic form. After the protest, she writes, “Today, I’ve inhaled a new air and we feel that victory is near.” Although it may be unintentional, the slant rhyme here emphasizes the fact that victory is not yet achieved and still must be strived towards.Then, after the resignation of Mubarak, Ms. Elsayed writes, “Egypt got its soul back today. Welcome freedom. Welcome liberty. Welcome justice.” I was awestruck by the profundity of her words, which are fueled by her drive to see true peace and freedom in her nation. Her writing proves that teens have important ideas and experiences that are worth sharing with the world. Although she is young, I believe Jessica Elsayed is a political and poetic force to be reckoned with, and I truly admire her courage and voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment